This practice is a way to receiving the word of God through your entire being, rather than reading one more scripture that sticks in your mind, but not your heart.
“The Word of Scripture should never stop sounding in your ears and working in you all day long, just like the words of someone you love. And just as you do not analyze the words of someone you love, but accept them as they are said to you, accept the Word of Scripture and ponder it in your heart, as Mary did. That is all….Do not ask ‘How shall I pass this on?’ but ‘What does it say to me?’ Then ponder the word long in your heart until it has gone right into you and taken possession of you.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together
- Select a small passage of scripture
- Come to silence held in God’s presence
- Read the passage and listen for the phrase/word that God brings to your attention
- Re-read and pay attention to what God is revealing under the words
- Re-read and be open to any invitation that touches your present experience
- Rest thankfully in what God has given